Sunday, September 14, 2008

Archive 5-16-2007

So...I'm in a show!

Yeppers, I auditioned for summer community outdoor theatre in downtown Annapolis and I got the part.

Maybe it's because it's been a while since I did a show and I got the itch bad or because I really didn't give a shit if I got in or not, but frankly, it was one of my best auditions EVER!

The show is Thoroughly Modern Millie and it's a huge tap dance show...now if you know me you realize that tap dancing is virtually impossible for me, with the lack of ankle motion in one leg and all. BUT there is one part in the show that only has to do a bit o' ballroom. Here's the kicker.....it's kind of the ingenue-y, pretty one(still comedic). Now being a relatively chubby, character actress who tried for years to be the ingenue, I wasn't too optimistic. Can I sing the role? Oh I can sing the crap out of it! Can I act the part? Yep! So why not?

I walked into those auditions a bit nervous knowing that they would all already know each other but still pretty confident, again, I had nothing to lose. I picked the right song, I had a great new outfit, let's do this. I sang, I read, I got called back and then called back again....really, I knew I had it.

I'll put a tiny disclaimer here....there were some amazing talents there, other girls that could sing the part just fine...I was better. It was exhilerating, because I didn't care, I sang my ass off....why couldn't I do that in college?!?

We start rehearsals next week and I can't wait. If you're in the area, come check it out

No comments: