Sunday, September 14, 2008

Archive 2-9-2007

Oh the pressure.......

........of a dress. Although I may have found mine, let's step back a moment.

I stepped into my first bridal shop to try on a bridal gown of my own 26 and a half hours ago, and I almost decided to get married in jeans. It was one of the most annoying, somewhat intimidating, downright rude experiences of my life.

Her name was Dorothy. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes by "Dotty" socially. I filled out papers, giving her, what I believe, to be too much info, stepped into the robe and slippers she provided me with and stepped into bride hell....and Dotty was the devil.

I told her what I was interested in (not strapless, no beads, simple) while i made her aware that I was willing to try on anything. The only dresses she brought me were strapless! Yes I know that they can build whatever I want but you can't tell what straps will look like when they are pinned to a strapless dress.

Fine Dotty, I will try on your strapless dresses that make me look fabulous and thin from the front view but there is no way I am going to be able to sit, breathe or drink more than one glass of bubbly in it.......but while you're at it, could you grab that very fetching number that I've been eyeing since i walked in? The light teal one on that mannequin over there.....no?

The bitch actually said no! She informed me that because I was short waisted it would not look good on me and therefore was not allowing me to try it on. I'm the goddamned bride! Aren't you supposed to give me whatever I want!?

That being said today, my mother and I drove to historic Alexandria, Virginia and stepped into vintage heaven. They let me try on whatever I wanted, never once pressured me to buy..in fact...encouraged me to "think about it", and made the whole experience so much fun I got weepy when we left.

I may have found my dress today, I'm not sure yet. It's a big decision! BUT, I had exactly the experience I wanted...fun, easy going, fun. And that's all I really care about.

No comments: