Thursday, September 25, 2008

25 years and a Led Zeppelin song

So I get this phone call from my mom this evening..."I wanted to let you know about Cashmere...." and I know what the rest of that sentence will be.
But let's go back. When I moved to Chicago a strange pattern began. I would get tidbits of information about my family, my friends, my life back home from random sources. My sister in law would let me in on the latest scandal, my mom would slip up and tell me some secret about my best friend, things like that. I felt a little "out of the loop" sometimes but so it goes.... Then I moved to Maryland and the 'pattern' became an epidemic. I didn't know my dad was sick until he was scheduled for surgery, cousins were giving birth to second and third children and I didn't even know they had ever gotten pregnant! This was now a problem!
So one night I call my mom and proceed to have this long conversation about how I needed to be kept more 'up to date', more abreast of the issues. I made it very clear that I wanted things straight from the source, dammit and let me tell you she has kept her word. Every tiny little insignificant detail about my 3rd cousin's bridal shower I am made aware of!
And so now here I sit...very up to date and aware of the fact that my cat of 25 years has finally passed on. She has left us for that big litter box in the sky. This cat rocked I must say. She was around forever! She made it through my brother and I both leaving, another cat and a dog joining the bunch. She was the first cat in our family to smack my dog Tootsie in the face and let me tell you that cat knew how to party. There was NEVER a Patsy party that she did not poke her head out to see what was shaking. In her last few years she had gone a little blind and a lot deaf but she was still full of sass.
Let me just say that she will be greatly missed. We all dug her a lot.
Let me also say to her that I am sorry. My brother named this cat and I never once understood why until tonight. My brother has always had incredible taste in music and leave it to a 10 year old kid to name a cat after one of the greatest songs by one of the greatest bands ever.
Here's to you, Kashmir!
My Shangri-la beneath the summer moon, I will return again
Sure as the dust that floats high in June, when movin' through Kashmir

1 comment:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Sorry to hear about your kitty :(
It sounds like he lived a nice LONG life though.
PS My mom never tells me a thing about what is going on in our family either! I hate hearing about stuff after the fact. Drives me crazy....