Saturday, January 31, 2009

Best movie ending e-va!

So Ty and I had our infamous Italian night tonight. Bread, pepperoni, cheese, olive oil, apples and steamed artichoke...and needless to say wine. We also played our movie game. We come up with a theme, we each pick three movies from our library based on that theme and through process of elimination, end up with a movie. Tonight that movie was none other than "Say Anything".
Now, do I love Say Anything? Sort of.
Did I marry Lloyd Dobler? Yep
But here's the thing...while I most definitely have a top 5 list of movies, Say Anything is nowhere near that list.
But it does top one crucial list.
I, Sara Patsy Cobb, believe that, Say Anything has the BEST movie ending ever!
Pretty bold statement, I know.
There are other movies that have great endings.
The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, The Sixth Sense and Casablanca.
I believe Say Anything tops them all.
Here's why.
Hope.
Lloyd and Diane fly off (literally) into the blue skies of hope.
After 16 weeks of an adolescent love affair they make a choice. A very adult choice to remain together.
But that's not why.
They sit in an airplane, of which she fears and he holds her hand. He holds her hand and supports her. He talks her down from a ledge and they wait...together. And we as an audience are left with hope. Hope for their lives together, hope for their future together and hope for a great love story. We are left to figure it out for ourselves. And I love that.
I love that we are left silent, waiting for that ding...together. They pull us into their journey and we join them in fear, excitement, and hope.
We have no idea how it all ends up for Lloyd and Diane and frankly I didn't care. Just the idea. The thought that they were off together on this adventure and we got a glimpse of it, was ok with me.
...
...
...
Ding

2 comments:

beatsurrender said...

They were leaving it open for the sequel. Say Anything II: The Wrath of Lloyd.

Seriously though, I do like the ambiguity of the ending. It doesn't feel forced or incomplete. Just right.

Enna said...

You are such a romantic. I love it :)