Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Well, since everyone else is talking about it.

Keeping with my entertainment theme as of late, I thought I would give you all (what is there now?...3, 4 of you?) my two cents on the rash of celebrity outbursts lately.
First of all, I disagree with my husband on this one. ( you can see his thoughts at cobb-descending.blogspot.com)
Second, I was an actor. At one point I was even a professional actor, so my opinion may be a bit biased.
And Third...it's almost 5 o'clock...so I'm gonna have a glass of wine with this one.
Let's begin with my girl Patti Lupone...who, in my household we affectionately refer to as, Corky's mom.
So apparently she was in the middle of a performance of Gypsy and there was some random person in the audience taking photographs. Well, if you have ever been to live theatre you know damn well that they frown on this particular behavior. Not only is it distracting to the performers but hey, it's illegal...that's right, people could actually make money off of the photos and that goes against contracts, blah, blah, blah.
Back to Corky's mom. Well she stops the show. Stops the singing, stops the orchestra, full on stops the show! And girrrrrrrllllllll, she let this person have it! "Stop taking pictures! Who do you think you are?" (Go to youtube, hear it for yourself) And while the yelling and the stopping the show and the kicking out the photographer might have been a little excessive...I do have to agree with her. If only for the sake of the rule itself being broken, I mean for god's sake, they say it like twenty times! And like Corky's mom said when she thanked the rest of the audience...it's a matter of respect. Respect for the actor's, respect for the theatre and respect for rules in general (I'll let you judge the irony of the fact that the only reason we are able to hear the rant is because somebody else was illegally recording the performance). Yes, she sounded a bit "diva" ish in the rant but hey she is Patti "Corky's mom" Lupone.
And now for my boy Christian Bale. Oh Christian, why do you make us, with no pun intended, constantly bail you out? You are so cute, such a good actor and finally getting the big bucks. SO why do you need to be such a dick?
Now, frankly, I don't think his most recent rant was that bad. Yeah, he dropped like 187 f-bombs but come on, that director of photography should have known better (for those of you under a rock, while filming Terminator:Salvation in July last year, apparently the director of photography kept walking through Bale's line of focus...which in itself is a dick move...and the audio tapes of that rant have just been released). What bugs me is that Christian keeps getting caught up in these kinds of situations. In reality though when an actor is in the middle of filming/performing that last thing you should do is step in front of that focus (figuratively and literally)...repeatedly. If I were him I may have wanted that guy off the set too
So were theses rants justified? A little bit, yep.
Were they excessive? Maybe so
And who's the biggest loser, the people who spent their time making sure that others heard these rants, or me, for spending so much of my time writing about them?
(Please don't answer that)

2 comments:

Enna said...

Oh how I love Christian Bale and feel sad too that he gets caught up in these moments. From Newsies to American Psycho, dang he is good.

Bella Spills said...

Someday you'll be in a position when your own Diva ass will be able to rant and drop the f-bombs and you will be justified in your actions... and we will watch you on You Tube. I, for one, can't wait for that to happen.

I just want it on public record for you to say "I'll kill you" in that special way that you do.